Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My name is ***** ***** I just moved into a new home and I'm

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I just moved into a new home and I'm trying to increase water level of steam boiler for gas furnace
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have no heat and when I looked at the steam gaugue it is on 0 We just moved into house yesterday not sute how to use it at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
What is the brand and model number of your boiler? 0 pressure is normal for a steam boiler if it's not fired up. You want to check the water level in the sight glass on the side of the boiler. it should be 1/2 to 2/3's full
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no water in sight glass and I don't know how to add any
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Ok I need a picture of the boiler and nearby piping to advise you on how to add water. Click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a pic here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok will do
The company is weil-mclain co
boiler model e-4 series number 3
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I have to leave shortly for about an hour. If you don't get back before I leave I'll respond when I get back. You could have a manual shut off on a small diameter (usually 1/2" copper) water line connected to the boiler. Opening this shut off will add water to the boiler. Watch the glass and stop filling when you get above half full
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did you get pictures?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Flushed out dirty water into bucket hour ago no change
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the last picture you show piping behind the boiler. That vertical copper pipe looks like the water feed line. Follow it back away from the boiler until you come to a shut off. Open that shut off to fill the boiler.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Also check to see if the pilot is lit.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Here are instructions to light the pilot if it's out:Standing in front of your furnace or boiler find the squarish device that the gas piping connects to. This is the gas valve you will see a small 1/4" diameter silver tube (aluminum) connected to the gas valve. Follow this tube into the boiler to where the burners are. There should be a flame shield in your way this will need to be removed. The flame shield is just above the burners and is typically held on with a couple wing nuts. Once you remove the flame shield trace the silver tube to where it ends. What it is connected to is the pilot burner. On the gas valve there should be a dial that has indicators for ON, OFF & PILOT. The will also be an indicator (a red dot, an arrow) on the body of the gas valve right under the outer edge of the dial. The dial should be set to ON now. You need to turn the dial to pilot. Then light your match and hold it to the pilot burner. Now push down on the dial (occasionally there is a separate red button if you can't push the dial down) this will allow the gas to flow to the pilot burner. Once it's lit you need to hold the dial down for 60 to 90 seconds then you can let the dial back up. The pilot should stay lit. Now put your flame shield back and the dial to ON. At no time should you force the dial.If the pilot doesn't stay lit when you release the dial/button then you probably need to replace the thermocouple. Probably not a DIY project.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
I'm back. How did it go?