Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The burner light is not coming on my boiler, and the boiler

Customer Question

The burner light is not coming on my boiler, and the boiler on light is flashing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no hot water or heating, and the boiler pilot light turns on and the thermostat is on but after a while of being o the fuse trips to the boiler
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
What is the brand & model number of your boiler?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A Baxi Solo 2 -
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
I'm in the States. I'm not familiar with this unit. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, is the fuse located on the wall beside the boiler, or inside the boiler, can you tell me what amperage it is rated at? The odds are 100% there is a bad motor or an electrical short inside the boiler, tell me a lot about your technical skill sets so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi the fuse is outside of the boiler behind my fridge near the pump - it takes a 3A fuse. My skill sets are minimal I was just wondering if it was something I could fix easily.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The manual says the burner light should become lit by the pilot light, but it isn't getting lit. Wondering if there is a reason why?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** why the pilot light isn't being lit is because of the electrical short that is blowing the fuse. It is the electrical short that is cause of the problem with the pilot light. Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will locate one or two well rated service outfits for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pilot light is lit but the burner light should come on shortly after the pilot light is lit - according to the manual. Would that be an electrical short?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, yes. There is a short in one of the circuits that is energized after the pilot is lit... the 100% proof of that is the blown fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** something I could fix myself? I have no training and no knowledge however.
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, it takes a lot of skills and training to fix one of those units, they are loaded with complex electronics, sensors, wires and valves... its tricky business. Unfortunately repairs in most cases are costly, over a few hundred dollars in a best case situation... and $500 or more in a worst case situation... any mistakes in doing the repair can result in fire or gas explosion, those have been known to take out half a city block.