HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Help! Went to change the thermostat the new 1 didn't even

Customer Question

Help! Went to change the thermostat the new 1 didn't even power on, so went and bought a rth6350, already unwired and slept in between. This one has less terminals than the previous. Looking for help found I apparently have telephone wire instead of actually thermostat wire, thermostat is on the other side of the wall but I can change that later. This particular thermostat says to no longer hook up the blue/c. I had white/orange stripes on the Y terminal and the orange wire on Y2 at which point, air mode was blowing heat, so I switched these two, no longer blowing heat but is not blowing air. Green is on G and fan is blowing, so assuming that is right. White/brown stripe is on W, getting heat so assuming that's right. White/green stripe is on R/RC, which is traced to red so assuming that's right. Please tell me what is wrong
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and personally did not receive that money. The only way I am credited is when you use the STAR/VOTE RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. Lastly when we are done please post to me that you would like me "GURU" credited before supply the rating so there is no confusion on the tech to be credited for the question. Thank you! Answer: First the new unit must be a battery powered unit so make sure you have batteries in it. If so the display should come on. Second you may have to get to the control board inside the furnace. Once there check the fuse on the control board make sure it is not blown and secondly check the color of the wires to each thermostat terminal on the board....they will be marked R,G,Y,W,C and match them up to the same terminals on the thermostat. If you did not mark them down I would be guessing just like you and that would be the only way to do it. Secondly you can easily pop the 3-5amp slot fuse on the board in the furnace when wiring the thermostat so it is best to shut down power when doing the wiring.