Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a weil mclain ultra boiler. The ignitor was replaced,

Customer Question

I have a weil mclain ultra boiler. The ignitor was replaced, but it still doesn't ignite. It keeps trying, but does not shut down and no red screen.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a spark? Does it lock out after 5 attempts?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure if it has a spark. It does not lock out. The screen is blue. It just keeps trying to ignite. My technician said I need a new control panel. That is working though. Is it possible that he put in the wrong igniter?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
A bad control is possible since it should lock out after 5 attempts. There's only 1 igniter that could fit in this unit so the wrong igniter isn't a possibility. If the igniter is generating a spark but you get no ignition then there are other items to check. They include cleaning the condensate trap and drain, cleaning the combustion chamber, checking voltage to the gas valve. But the no lockout anomaly is good reason to doubt that the control board is ok.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. There is a spark. It keeps trying to ignite. Does not shut down. No red screen.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
So my previous answer still applies
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What's the previous answer? I answered your two questions.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Here it is again:"A bad control is possible since it should lock out after 5 attempts. There's only 1 igniter that could fit in this unit so the wrong igniter isn't a possibility. If the igniter is generating a spark but you get no ignition then there are other items to check. They include cleaning the condensate trap and drain, cleaning the combustion chamber, checking voltage to the gas valve. But the no lockout anomaly is good reason to doubt that the control board is ok."
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. Didn't receive the answer the first time.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome. Do you have any other questions?