Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Nordyne furnace in my manufacture home that will not

Customer Question

i have a Nordyne furnace in my manufacture home that will not fire. It has a standing pilot that stays lite and i got 24 volts at the gas valve that has a slight buzzing noise until i pull one of the leads. my line of thought is if i have power at the gas valve then all my other switches are good and the gas valve is bad
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.I agree with your assessment. If the pilot is lit and you have 24 volts to the gas valve but no main burner ignition then you need a new gas valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but shouldnt the induction fan start before power is supplied the the gas valve
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes but that doesn't have anything to do with the gas valve issue. If you have 24 volts to the valve then the valve should open and the main burner should fire. The draft inducer not running is a separate issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought that the fan running should be the first step in the sequence of operation
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Of course I'm assuming you have gas to the gas valve
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Again, the inducer not running is a separate issue. Yes the inducer starting up is the first thing that should happen with a call for heat. Do you have power to the inducer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i havent checked that and in i dont know if the inducer is part of the motor or a stand alone component
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
For our purposes they're the same thing. Do you have power to the inducer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill have to check that but if thats not running would i still get 24 volts to the valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would think it would try to open the vale without the fan runnig
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You said you had 24 volts at the valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The draft pressure switch would have to be stuck closed to get 24 volts to the valve if the inducer isn't running
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more questions?