Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The furnace will start up and distributing heat. After about

Customer Question

The furnace will start up and distributing heat. After about an hour it distributes cool air. The heat shuts off,but the fan continues to run. Why?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe could be the result of the furnace limit opening due the overheating. Does the LED on the control board flash a series of flashes then repeats the sequence?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

The most common cause of this malfunction is a dirty filter. If you have central AC a clogged AC coil is another possibility as are blocked vents. The flash code will point to the likely cause of the malfunction.