HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

No power to TSTAT Honeywell wifi tstat, I just bought anew

Customer Question

no power to TSTAT Honeywell wifi tstat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just bought anew tstat because I thought the old one (Radio Thermostat) went out. turns out I am not getting any V to the tstat terms. Also, no volts to the outside unit (carrier w/ heat pump).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am GURU an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and personally did not receive that money. The only way I am credited is when you use the STAR/VOTE RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. Lastly when we are done please post to me that you would like me "GURU" credited before supply the rating so there is no confusion on the tech to be credited for the question. Thank you!

ANSWER:

You likely have blown the fuse on the board in the furnace. You need to get to the furnace or air handler and remove the panels. Once off you will see the board, check the 3-5amp slot fuse on the board and replace it if blown. That will kill power to the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will had some pictures to help... I think I have it narrowed down pretty good but I just need for someone to tell me which components to test and where they are located... im not COMPLETELY dumb so this should be an easy one for someone! I tip well $$$
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Check the 5 amp fuse on the board it is likely blown.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuse already. Also, no power to the outside unit even on the main terminal block
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do want to talk on the phone but I am at work for the next
12 minutes'
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

On the low voltage transformer do you have power from the C to the 230? If not you need to check the power to the unit itself. You may have blown a breaker

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will you be available to call me in about 1 hr ... maybe 1hr 15 minutes?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

No I will be offline by then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked there yet. Do you think it is the breaker that goes to the outside unit from the junction box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would be worth your while $$$
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes if you have no power there you have a power issue from the source itself. That is really all it can be and should be easy to find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know there is power at the breaker in the box with all the other breakers for the house but I have only tested it with a no contact tool
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I was on my way to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I was on my way to work... I didn't have time to pull anything out of the breaker box to physically test it
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Let me send you an offer if you want me to wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if we do not get it working tonight or at least find the definitive issue, what am I on the hook for?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I will be leaving shortly and I see you have not accepted the offer. If you need help in the morning I will be around.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did respond
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

If you want me to stay on until you get back you would have to Accept the Offer within the next couple minutes or I will be going offline.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just go home and try my luck with the next fellow. I don't want to be rushed but I am on my way home. Thank you though, really
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok no problem I have been working all day about 18 hours so worth my while would have to be worth something decent. Thanks though and I will be on in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK cool. The 50 isn't the issue I just don't want to rush. I may wait Until morning anyway so I'll look out for you. I can give you my number if you want
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Just post back in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK cool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

No problem talk to you soon/