Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

I have a Rheem Power Vent 40 gal hwh Model 21VP40-1P

Customer Question

I have a Rheem Power Vent 40 gal hwh Model 21VP40-1P installed in 1996. It will start up with vent motor running but will not send a signal to send power to the hot surface ignitor or turn the valve on. Can you suggest how I can test what is wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

Hello, here to assist you,

unplug you hot surface Check for 120v after fan goes on,

If you do, replace hot surface, if you dont, fan pressure switch is not closing

Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

Hope this was helpful

NOTE TO CUSTOMER: Please take the time to "Rate" the service from the technician. If they are not rated they are not credited for assisting. If you require further information please use "reply".

Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

If you need to replace any parts, I suggest that it is time to replace the whole tank as it is seriously outdated and may start leaking and do serious damage to you building.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. I did the tests. Found no power to hot surface terminals so replaced vacuum switch. It is working but still not getting 120v to terminals. What else can I check. I also removed blower fan, cleaned fan, tubing and vent. I am not getting the clicking sound after I turn the power on. Is that what turns the power on to the hot surface unit? I checked vacuum terminals and get continuity when power is turned on and not when blower is not running.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

When the pressure switch closes it sends 24v to gas valve ignition control, to start hot surface ignitor, if it does not, internal relay or electronic board in gas valve is defective and will need replacement.