Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Just had ac serviced. freon added & outside unit cleaned.

Customer Question

just had ac serviced. freon added & outside unit cleaned. now everytime unit kicks on it makes loud noise inside
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: rheem unit just had it cleaned & freon added
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it is possible that too much refrigerant was added, however in order to tell I need to know what sort of configuration you have, there are a few dozen,

Does the entire unit sit outside? or is there an inside furnace or air handler in a closet, attic or garage about the size of small refrigerator as well?

Is the noise similar to what can be heard when banging to heavy cast iron pots together? or two forks? Describe the sound in detail.

Stand as close to the source of the noise as you can, try inside, and try outside and tell me which is loudest.

We can go from there, if I miss you tonight I will pick up your response first thing in the morning.