Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Thanks help you can give. I have a Techmar 369 controller, a

Customer Question

I'm Bill Wood. Thanks for any help you can give.
I have a Techmar 369 controller, a 262 boiler controller, and a Monitor MZ 40 boiler, and 5 zones plus DHW. When the system was installed about 13 years ago a 20 micron water filter was not included in the new-house installation with a new well even tho the zone valves specified it. I have had nothing but trouble with this system a good part of which was due to grit from the new well.
I have a few questions.
1. My boiler overtemps in situations where it shouldn't. The likely cause I think is some blockage in the water flow due to ... grit build up, and the heat is not carried away fast enough. What do you think? Also would it be practical for me to disassemble the boiler to check for it. I'm a retired aero engineer.
2. Often when the boiler is supposed to shut down the relays chatter sometimes for minutes and the boiler goes on and off every few seconds. I believe this is noise in the command signals to the boiler, prolly from the Techmar 369. Any ideas?
3, Are there any replacements for the Room Temperature Units that are compatible with the 369 that Techmar stopped producing . They use some proprietary [I think] serial link which may leave us really out in the cold [literally].
Thanks, Bill.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello Bill, I see your question has been waiting, with no takers.

As you probably realize from your own engineering experience, and from 10 years of trying to debug that system. There is no 10 or 15 minute answer.

My offer in these cases is here.

http://tekmarcontrols.com/products/zoning/369.html

Let me know if you have contacted them on this particular issue and range of options yet or not.

Regarding myself, I am a 75 year old semi retired mech engr. (HVAC, domestic and Aerospace applications). I am willing to spend as much time with you on this as needed to get the entire situation sorted out in the most optimal fashion.

However I work entirely at my own expense, pay my own broad band and phone bills etc.. so that it is too much of a risk from me to get deeply involved with something that is clearly limitlessly more than 'just an answer', without some sort an understanding regarding rating my preliminary advice if you find it useful, and agreeing to what ever premium services I offer that would be included in a project that could take you and I days, including a lot of tests and research, to resolve.

Such costs typically add up to 20% or less of what on site service costs would be to resolve all of the problems.

Let me know how you would like to proceed,