Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

We live in a duplex and the owner next door is a smoker. We

Customer Question

We live in a duplex and the owner next door is a smoker. We smell cigarette smoke once in awhile and I think it's coming through the duct system. We have sealed everything else in our entire house. Any thoughts on whether the smoke in the walls is getting into the duct system? Thanks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We live in a duplex and the owner next door is a smoker. We smell cigarette smoke once in awhile and I think it's coming through the duct system. We have sealed everything else in our entire house. Any thoughts on whether the smoke in the walls is getting into the duct system? Thanks.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..residential HVAC systems are usually 'closed' which means that the system does not bring in outside air, it simply circulates, heats and cools the air already in the house. It is basically a sealed system.

So, unless you share an HVAC system with the other dwelling (unlikely), the smoke you are smelling is coming in through other places. Maybe the walls, floors or through the windows.

It is not getting into your ducts.

Please let me know if I can help you further.
Steve