Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I here at a apartment community with 200 carrier heat pump

Customer Question

I here at a apartment community with 200 carrier heat pump units, I have my tstat set to cool, and the condenser my contactor is pushed in and it makes a noise assuming its the compressor and I my gauges are pumping down a sign the compressor is active. But the condenser fan motor is not turning. I checked for proper voltage and its has the proper voltage, compressor pumping but fan motor is not turning. I used my screwdriver to turn the blade to fan motor and it turned freely. I then took the run capacitor from another unit and still compressor runs but fan does nothing. I nothing other units around when they first come on some not all units the the unit starts rattling sort like the compressor is on and eventually the fan to those units comes on. This units are equipped with high and low pressure switches as well don't know if that is why the fan motor on some of the other units delay. But the unit Im working on the compressor pumps and the fan never cuts on. I thought once the contactor energize the fan and the compressor cuts on at the same time. Any of you experts out there who could help me figure this out?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

If you have voltage to motor and run capacitor is good, then the motor is shot.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any questions on this?