Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a 2010 rheem power vent hot water tank.that will fire

Customer Question

I have a 2010 rheem power vent hot water tank.that will fire up for 5 minutes and then ends up in lockout.with green a and b lights on.it worked great for 6 yrs.it hasn't been serviced at all.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This is a generic flame failure error. The most likely cause is a dirty/oxidized flame sensor. If you're comfortable working in the combustion chamber you can clean of the metal rod of the flame sensor (see attached picture for typical) with steel wool or aluminum oxide sand paper. Also vacuum out the chamber since debris, particularly rust flakes, can ground out the sensor causing a lockout.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I remove the 4 screws to take the plate off am I going to need a gasket to replace it when I put it back on?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Technically yes, but as a practical matter it's not that critical and you can usually reuse the existing gasket unless it's totally destroyed. The only reason for this gasket is to isolate the combustion chamber from flammable vapors should they find their way to the heater. We seemed to have managed just fine for many decades without sealed chambers but now it's a big deal.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you plan on cleaning the sensor be aware that the gap spacing between the burner and sensor is critical. So take care to not move it out of position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd what you said and it's still doing the same thing.it ignights for 5 min.goes out then tryed 3 more times then locks out green a b
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Also check the position of the sensor. The tip should be 1/2" from the edge of the burner and 1/32" above it. The next step is to replace the flame sensor. If neither works then replacing the gas valve is next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the sender look like.just making sure.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I posted a picture earlier. Here it is again. It not bent the same way as the one in the pic. I hope you didn't clean the igniter next to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did.lm looking for those 2 parts now.on line.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Your best bet is a local plumbing supply house that sells Rheem heaters

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I have to order aburner assembly kit.put that in. And still find out what is wrong
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't see the need for a new burner unless yours is badly corroded. I've never replaced a burner in 40+ years in this business. However replacing the sensor is the next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm gona replace the senser
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I replaced the sender.but still doing the same thing.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have the sensor positioned properly then the next likely culprit is the gas valve. Looks like your heater may be under warranty if it's less than 6 years since it was installed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked that out.they went from the time it was made not installed.just my luck.I'm paying u 28 dollers right ?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have an invoice the warranty runs from install/purchase date not manufacturing date. As far as I can tell yes $28 but I don't get paid unless you rate me favorably. Payment questions should be directed to customer service. I only answer plumbing questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow I'll order the part.think I can figure out how to get this out ?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It just unscrews from the tank after you drain it and disconnect the tubing to the burner.