Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

When my furnace turns on it smells like burning plastic. It

Customer Question

When my furnace turns on it smells like burning plastic. It stinks really bad and I had a headache all day because of it. It started yesterday
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right HVAC Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Also the air isn't hot or coming out as forceful
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the air isn't coming out as forcefully then (assuming the filter is clean) you could have a problem with the blower motor or possibly even a cracked heat exchanger. I'd suggest you call in a pro asap to check this out and turn the furnace off in the mean time.