Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

When the auxiliary heat comes on it won't shut off. my

Customer Question

when the auxiliary heat comes on it won't shut off. my thermostat is set at 68 deg. but the heat pump will keep going until I shut I manually shut it off at 80 deg. what is my problem. I got the unit with my moble home in 1989. This is the only problem I have had with the unit. Model #PSYBO36BCUb serial # ***** OR 1L1088-00149. The card I sent in to the warranty dept. has a serial # ***** on it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

There are 2 possible causes for this: the more common one is a bad thermostat. If it's a heat pump and the outside unit won't shut off, it could be a sticking contactor at the outside unit.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.

Did you have any questions on this?