Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 2000 series thermostat and the screen is blank.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 series thermostat and the screen is blank. With the system switch off when I try to remove the cover, I am not able to remove it as it sees to be stuck at the bottom. The top doesn't close as tightly as the bottom. When I push the fan button the fan turns on but then turns of after about a minute so apparently the battery is sending some signal to the furnace. There is no low battery signal on the screen. The u/down switches do not activate the screen. There is no display of ambient temperature
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

There should be a sort of slot that goes all the way around the outer part. Usually if you place something like a butter knife on both sides, you should be able to separate inner and outer halves. I would pull batteries out, wait about 15-20 minutes, replace with fresh batteries and reseat the two halves.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cannot get the cover back in place because the screw at the bottom doesn't allow it to close. The batteries were replaced and the screen is no longer blank.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It still doesn't work.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

If you have the two halves separated, you have to sort of push straight in.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I pushed it straight in but the bottom doesn't close because of the set screw blocking complete closure
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

If there is a set screw, you may have to back it out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It just spins but doesn't move.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

If you can, upload some pics of what you are referring to. To upload, save the pic to your PC, then upload using the small paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have a camera that takes movies. The set screw is at the bottom of the cover and spins when I turn it but nothing else happens.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

If it is a set screw that is meant to lock the halves together, it should back out. Unless it is stripped.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

This is not a real expensive thermostat. If you are having this many problems with it, might be easier to just replace. You can get a good thermostat for well under $75.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions. We were chatting back and forth, but all of a sudden I didn't get any more responses from you.