Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Need advice and help wiring carrier comfort zone to convert

Customer Question

Need advice and help wiring carrier comfort zone to convert over to NEst two zone system
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike,

Generally speaking they are not compatible. However with extensive effort and jury rigging it can be made to work, I do not recommend the approach however. This might be something you want to discuss with one of the second tier help desk people at NEST, the lower tier staff will generally say 'yes' it will work, that is because 95% of the systems on the market have more or less common or semi standard controls features.

Without having the full model number of your carrier furnace/air handler I cannot be 100% certain, only 98% certain based on the thermostat numbers you gave me.

When your system needs service under those conditions, virtually no technician will be up to sorting out the convolutions to say the least.

You will be better off buying a Carrier product made to work with your exact furnace/ air handler etc.

http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/thermostats/

Look all this over let me know what you think, we can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Howdy Phil,Thanks for the response. Had a Carrier "installer" over this afternoon but wasn't knowledgable about Nest product so couldn't help.This is the thermostat they currently have and the customer is not up for learning how to use it to set the zones base/main zone 1 and upstairs zone 2.I used the carrier link you sent me and it just offers the same old tech product they have now - http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/thermostats/zonecc2kit01-b/I would assume in the end after all of the hype in the marketing about the control unit that acts as the go between the thermo stat main and zone 2 that the control unit simply turns on and off the dampers and turns on and off the furnace, a/c and humidfier accordingly.It sounds like even thou you don't recommend jury rigging it for lack of warranty support afterward that NEST tier 2 might be able to help?OK I'll try them up next.Mike
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

The more complex and proprietary a system is, the less likely you will be able to get a NEST thermostat to work, your base carrier system is quite complex in itself, and with zoning is well beyond the threshold of what I would want to see a NEST thermostat applied to.

Let me know what tier 2 nest help desk has to say about the situation, I will appreciate it.