Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I have a PVRP50N gas water heater. I has stopped heating

Customer Question

I have a PVRP50N gas water heater. I has stopped heating water. There is a red light flashing on the control panel.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have no owner manual since this heater was installed in 2004. I have adjusted the temperature dial with no heating. I don't hear a sparking sound from the ignition system.
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The heater apparently was installed by Vincent Plumbing. Is this a authorized installed in Milwaukee?
JA: Our top HVAC Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the HVAC Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the HVAC Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Is the exhaust fan running? can you give me a picture of the gas valve and related controls? Click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a picture here

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't appear the the exhaust fan is running. How can it be turned on?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

The draft fan should start automatically as soon as there is a call for hot water. If the fan doesn't run nothing else will happen. You need to check all the electrical connections. If they are all good then fixing this is probably not worth the expense given the age of the heater. You could have a bad exhaust fan or gas control valve. Both components cost several hundred dollars and are obsolete and may not even be available not to mention that the tank could leak at any time given that it's 12 years old.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

The average expected life of a gas fired water heater is 8 to 10 years

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

If you tell me the LED flash sequence (how many times does it blink before it pauses and repeats) I can tell you what error it is displaying. We can also do some trouble shooting if you like. You'll need a multi-meter to do this.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Also try turning the ON/OFF switch on (if it's not on already) and off a couple times