Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

Broken hvac, We are in a rental home and our hvac died at

Customer Question

broken hvac
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are in a rental home and our hvac died at the end of Jan. The unit was replaced new in 2009. In Aug a new filter was put in. Around end of Sept/begin Oct we replaced filter. THLhe unit was also off most pretty much all of Oct. When initial repair men can in at end of Jan they said there was build up on the coils and dog hair can be seen. Would us not changing the filter for that 4 month period likely completely burn out the unit?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Not changing the filter could clog the AC coil which would restrict the air flow. This would usually cause the high limit to trip since the heat exchanger would over heat. But the could can be cleaned and once the air flow is restored the furnace should work OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but would this cause the motor to die in just that shirt time span
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'm assuming you mean the motor on the main blower. If a lot of debris/dog hair/lint got by the filter it could cause the motor to burn out.