Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Code 13 on a carrier weather maker 9200. It short cycles. I

Customer Question

Code 13 on a carrier weather maker 9200.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It short cycles.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I changed the filter and checked the exhaust
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

Hello, tell me how often in seconds or minutes the cycles are, I need to know if this just started or has always been this way.

Tell me if the furnace is heating the house or not.

See page 13 of this manual, click here please

The furnace is over heating and going off on its high temperature safety cut out, or its flame roll out switch.

We can go from here without a time limit, meantime tell me a lot about your technical skill sets so that I can coach you most effectively.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Furnace is not heating house.
This happens about every 3 months and is because of dirty filter or blocked exhaust.
I can follow directions very well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cycles last about 90 seconds.
Does this every 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every time I call a hvac they just reset the system.
Will the system reset after 3 hours?
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, I can't recommend that you fit a jumper across the high limit switch as a brief test only while monitoring the furnace temperature so that the warm air plenum does not get over 190F... but that is what a qualified furnace technician would do... if the jumper seems to solve the problem and the furnace is running cooler than 160F then replace the high limit switch.

The high limit resets when the sensor cools off, some furnaces have a 3 hour timer in them some do not.

Let me know if you have the skill sets needed to locate the high limit switch and jumper the two wires attached to it or not... BUT ONLY FOR THE BRIEF TIME IT TAKES SEE IF THE FURNACE WILL THEN RUN LONGER THAN 90 SECONDS.

Tell me if you would prefer that I do not use the manual and its diagrams for reference, and would prefer a narrative way of coaching without such references, we can go from there.