Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I do NOT have a hot water tank or heater. I get all my hot

Customer Question

I do NOT have a hot water tank or heater. I get all my hot water from my three year old Weil-Mclain steam gas fired boiler. Last winter it started acting up, only producing water when/if I kicked up the temperature on the thermostat. Last summer we hot water when the heat wasn’t on. Now that isn’t the case anymore. No hot water even when boiler is cold. Only get hot water when I turn heat on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like your aquastat is acting up. Can you locate the device on your boiler? it's most likely a Honeywell control mounted in the DHW coil plate. Try turning up the temp on the aquastat and see if the burner responds

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Temp is already turned up to 180.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

I wanted you to turn it up to see if the burner responds to the aquastat. If it doesn't respond then replace the aquastat after you check the wiring connections and find them to be in good shape. It's possible the aquastat is out of calibration or has failed altogether.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Of course if the boiler is hot already the burner may not come on so it's best to wait until the boiler cools down a bit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The boiler is only three years old. Is it common for it go so soon?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Very unusual for an aquastat to fail this soon but it does happen. It's important to check the wiring since 18 gauge wiring is notorious for (partially) breaking unnoticed. This can lead to intermittent operation or worse.