Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

No c wire connection on l8124a, need to provide 24v to new

Customer Question

no c wire connection on l8124a
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: need to provide 24v to new thermostat
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, if there is no C terminal on the thermostat wire terminal strip in the furnace or air handler, then you can access C from the 24v side of the control transformer directly, that is *opposite* of the terminal that R on the thermostat originates from.

IF you need help locating that terminal use the paper clip icon at the right end of your tool bar to send a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower service door. Photo must be taken from straight on, not at an angle, and be very will focused and well lit.

I can mark that up with instructions for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The honeywell L8124a has a transformer that is direct mounted to a circuit board. unfortunately your answer does not apply.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you get power from red terminal ? without compromising it?
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, you do not take power from the red terminal.

------------

Some photo's will work best.

If you do this correctly there are no compromise issues. If you do it incorrectly and attach to R for instance you will short the 24v circuit and blow out the transformer. This is why photo's work best I can mark them up for you. (I am 75 years old, retired last year after 55 years of working on these things... its quite do-able, there may even be a C terminal on the printed circuit board... I have to see it though, there are literally tens of thousands of variations on the market.)

Photo the diagram and the printed circuit card.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are some photos
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would have to disassemble unit to photograph back of circuit board. What about running a seperate transformer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unit is Honeywell L8124A, C
L8151A
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello again, you have a boiler there, not a furnace. With boilers there are most often more than one zone, that involves a number of pumps and a zone control panel. If the system is not set up for a thermostat with a C terminal it will be quite a bit of work sorting out how to use that thermostat on your system.

If you can tell me the brand and model number of the old thermostat that you are replacing, and tell me which color wires went to each terminal on that thermostat..I can most likely find a drop in replacement for the old thermostat that is programmable if you wish, but does not have a need for the C wire.

A photo of the thermostat wires where they exit the wall and attach to the old thermostat will be helpful, that will save some testing on the voltages applied.

We can go from there