Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My heat pump is blowing hot air when the thermostat is on

Customer Question

My heat pump is blowing hot air when the thermostat is on cool. I have a new energy efficient Thermostat from AT&T - could it be wired wrong or would it be problem with the heat pump reversal valve
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: no, just that it's an older heat pump and the fact that the thermostat appears to be pretty complex.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am here to assist you.

NOTE TO CUSTOMER: Please take the time to "Rate" the service from the technician when you are done, If they are not rated they are not credited for assisting. If you require further information please use "reply"

Have you used that thermostat on cooling before?

Expert:  Gaztech replied 7 months ago.

sorry, I was setback by system malfunction.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but not since some work was done on the heating system a month or so ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The folks working on it mentioned the complicated wiring, and people previously have had issues with it.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 7 months ago.

If you can provide the model on thermostat this is most likely a simple fix.Either we need to change one wire at thermostat or change one setting in thermostat setup menu.