Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I JUST REPLACED MY GAS VALVE WITH A UNIVERSAL ONE THAT IS A

Customer Question

HI I'M RALPH I JUST REPLACED MY GAS VALVE WITH A UNIVERSAL ONE THAT IS A REPLACEMENT FOR THE OLD ONE I THINK I HAVE IT WIRED RIGHT I'M GETTING GAS TO THE VALVE & THE IGNITER IS CLICKING BUT I DON'T THINK THE VALVE IS OPENING
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, if you can send me a photo of the unit wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower service door, I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar to attach the photo.

The photo must be taken as close up as possible, in perfect focus, from straight on, and in very good light.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HERE ARE THE FILES
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

I got a notice that you had asked for premium service phone call, if you accept I will call you on the phone, if not we can continue here in this dialog box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I BELIEVE YOU CAN JUST EMAIL WHAT TO DO TO FIX MY PROBLEM & DID YOU RECEIVE THE PDF FILES
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Thanks I got the files and am reviewing them now, it will take me half an hour or so to mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE OR PICS LET ME KNOW HERE IS A PIC OF HOW I HOOKED UP THE NEW VALVE
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

http://screencast.com/t/9VmOmmTyV

Set the thermostat on heating and up to 90F

before you do those voltage measurements.

So far I suspect no voltage to the pilot.

I could use a clearer shot of the wire connections at the gas valve so I can read the terminal numbers.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THE WHITE IS ON THE C THE BLUE ON THE P THE ORANGE ON THE M & THE BROWN ON THE H { I THINK] & WHEN YOU MEAN PILOT DO YOU MEAN THE GAS VALVE BECAUSE MY FURNACE GUY SAYS I'M GETTING VOLTAGE AT THE VALVE WHEN I TURNED THE THERMOSTAT UP TO 77. I'M ALSO SENDING YOU A PIC OF THE OLD VALVE
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, its more complex than all that, 24v to the main valve terminals is not sufficient.

You need 24v to the pilot terminals as well. Then the ignition control module allows v24v to the main valve (inside the same gas valve as the pilot gas valve) and the burner lights.

The new valve is not a direct replacement for the old valve unless it came with a wiring diagram stating very very explicitly that it was a direct replacement and showed the new wiring configuration in exact detail...

notice the old valve had 6 wires connected and the new one only 4, I have not looked into it any deeper so far.

None of these items are generic, one type does not fit all so to speak... that may very well be the wrong gas valve....

Regarding the technician. Many are quite bright, very smart and capable people.

At least 5 or 10% of the technicians fall into that class... for the other 90% or so, sometimes make errors some of them are entirely incompetent.

So the fact that the tech said he found 24v at the gas valve, without saying which terminals, tells me that its most likely the wrong gas valve you have installed, and also likely wired incorrectly.... or that the ignition control module or flame sensor is bad.

From here, without tests etc its difficult to say.

On this end I am paid only if you rate my work positively, I get half of your deposit in that case, so that I need to make sure that I am not spending hours on question that are either insolveable on line, or that a customer does not rate positively.

Let me know if you would like me to opt out to other of our experts here or if you would like to rate my work so far positively so far and we can go a step or two further.

Training is often needed, that is one of our premium services if you are interested.

http://screencast.com/t/LBQd5jJC7IV

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WHITE & RODGERS HAS SAID THIS IS THE RIGHT REPLACEMENT VALVE FOR THE OLD ONE. I WILL HAVE THE TECH. CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE PILOT & I BELIEVE THE OTHER 2 WIRES YOUR SEEING ON THE OLD VALVE COME FROM THE VALVE IF THERE IS ANYTHING HE SHOULD CHECK LET ME KNOW & I'LL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

That will work. Let me know verbatim what the tech tells you, I can tell from the detailed wording if he has checked the right things or not etc.

Sometimes a tech will say emphatically "I checked and its normal" thats a red flag answer of course... if he does not know the detailed specifics, such as the voltage reads between the exact terminals I mentioned, then he does not know how to do the tests... that is not at all uncommon.