BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Carrier Bruant Payne Furnace. Installed in about

Customer Question

I have a Carrier Bruant Payne Furnace. Installed in about 1999-2001. The heat will not stay on. If you reset the system it turns on for about 5-6 minutes runs fine gets up to temp. Then shuts off and won't come back on? I just replace the control panel and there was an issue with the flue cap which I also just replace. Still not staying on. Please help
JA: Sometimes, Carrier Bruant Payne Furnace, HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I also replace the thermostat as well.
JA: Our top HVAC Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the HVAC Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the HVAC Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 9 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. do you get a flashing error light on the control board when it turns off or is not working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The led light stays steady when it's working. But when it shuts down it blinks.

ok that blinking is an error code. can you count how many times it blinks. example it may blink 3 times the pause and repeat or blink 2 times fast and 3 times slow and then repeat. also i will need the model number of your furnace. it should be on a big sticker on the inside of the furnace.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It looks like it blinks three times slowly. But also looks like it could be 4 times. The model of the furnace is PG8UAA024045
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Control panel number is *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm looking at the led and it looks like it almost blinks fast once and then 3 times slowly
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still with me? I've never done this before?

yes i am just looking up some specs for your furnace can you please clarify that flash code because those are all verry different errors. there should also be a sticker on the inside of the furnace describing the error codes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok it definitely looks like the one blink then three after

ok i was able to find the specs for your furnace. the code is a 13. one fast flash and 3 slow flashes. that means one of the limit switches are opening. first we will need to check a few basic things. first does the blower run and blow air out of the vents? next what is the condition of the air filter and when was it last replaced?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fan turns on when it gets to temp and will blow air out. Also the filter was replaced last week.

ok does the blower continue to run when it turns off on the error? also check and make sure nothing is stuck in the blower wheel. any restriction to the airflow will cause the furnace to overheat and trip the high limit safety switch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I may have been wrong in the blinking. I have the cover off with the switch engaged and it was once fast blink followed by two slower blinks on the LED

no you were correct in the error code. that code is 12 that is normal after starting up from turning the power off and back on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I was confused because I reset it and the blinking changed.

yes after startup you will get that code for 90 seconds and then it will go away and start normal operation

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok it just went thru a cycle like normal. Turned off and the blinking light is now doing three fast and then three slow
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now it went back to the original blinking. One fast. Three slow

ok do you have an electrical meter to test some components?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not at the moment

ok in order to narrow down the problem we will have to determine which limit switch is turning it off. you will have multiple ones in your furnace. one or 2 around the burners one near the drat inducer motor or exhaust pipe and possible one on the blower housing. they are small 1/2" diameter round switches with 2 wires connected to it. some of them may have a button between the 2 wires to reset it if it is a manual reset switch. you say you worked on the exhaust pipe? make sure the whole exhaust is clear and not restricted.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a way around having an electrical meter?

if you turn the power off to the furnace disconnect the switches one by one and jump the wires together with a piece of wire or paper clip or similar object and test the furnace to see if it stays running with the switch jumped and then repeat for each one until you isolate which one was causing it to trip. but this will be very time consuming and would be a lot easier to just test them with a meter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any news

it is up to you if you want to test them one by one as i described or wait until you can get a meter to test them while it is running.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 9 months ago.

I am a different tech. I have a lot of experience with this unit. There is only switch that will do this...if it were a roll out switch you woud have to press a small reset on the switch itself....you are not doing that so that leaves the main limit.

It is in the top section behind the gas valve...flat against front wall. It is the size of a credit card with 2 wires attached.. Now we have to deciide if the blower runs without shutting down. The HK42FZ was reworked many times because of blower issues.

If the blower actually stops in mid operation...it is a bad circuit board.

If the blower does NOT stop then we have either restricted air flow, too small duct, dirty ac coil, blocked returns etc.

We can also speed the blower up if it is a high temp issue. On the board is a wire from blower motor on terminal HEAT...it is commonly red. We would then remove blue wire from PARK terminal, and put blue on HEAT and red on PARK. This speeds up the blower.

And finally....if all else is done and still faults, you could simply have a bad limit switch.

Billy