Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have 2200 sf of living space I want to heat especially

Customer Question

I have 2200 sf of living space I want to heat especially during winter. It gets down to -10 degrees. I already have hydronic heating via gas boiler installed but reluctant to turn it on due to the extremely high cost of propane. I would like to go solar. Can someone evaluate the lowest cost option to to run the hydronic heating using solar? I have looked into vaccum tube collectors which sound great since the cold doesn't affect it as much as normal solar heat collectors. Or do I go PV and install an electric boiler?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

No form of active solar (PV or hot water)is cost effective for space heating. In fact the install costs to heat a space that size could easily run to $50k. Passive solar is cost effective but that's a matter of building design and is seldom doable in a retrofit particularly for a space that big. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we stopped even quoting solar space heating because no one was willing to pay the price. Solar is cost effective for heating DHW and for general household power usage but not space heating.