Sean, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner HVAC company
64612473

Lennox 14ACX HVAC system brand new. Used twice since Aug.,

Customer Question

Lennox 14ACX HVAC system brand new. Used twice since Aug., 2015 install (*unit is @ our vacation home). We are located in Central Texas. Tonite, indoor temp is 77° in house. System has been off since we arrived 2 days ago (was previously set on Heat, Auto, 58°, and we set thermostat to "Off" when we got into town (3 days ago). Have not used unit entire time we've been here until tonite when it was somewhat warm inside. Indoor temp was registering 77° on (new) thermostat. We proceeded to set thermostat to "Cool"/Auto, and it started blinking the words "Cool On"? Blinked like this for at least 20 minutes, and outdoor unit did not turn on (my husband went outside & checked). We gave up, turned indoor thermostat to off and are trying to get by with ceiling fans. Seriously Lennox? A brand new system that has been used twice since the install! Can you offer up any suggestions? We plan to call the installer tomorrow morning, but it would be nice if we could use the crazy system tonite. This is a 2.5 ton unit, and the home is only 700 sq ft! No doubt installer probably installed oversized unit for total sq footage to boot! (a whole 'nother issue). 😡 Our primary issue at this point is just getting the crazy A/C to kick on!!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
What kind of thermostat do you have?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Honeywell digital, non-programmable but new.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
I work on lennox equipment daily.Some of there models have low pressure cut outs meaning of Freon gets too low it shuts unit off.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
If*
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Did you check your main breaker
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we checked main breaker. It was fine. Even replaced batteries in Honeywell digital thermostat. No way freon is low. This is a virtually BRAND NEW Lennox HVAC system that has been used twice since the install on 8-19-15. The system is installed at our vacation home. In winter months, we leave thermostat set on Heat/Auto/58°. When we got to house on Friday (4 days ago), we turned system off via Honeywell thermostat since it was pleasant outside & we had no need for heat/air (home is located in Central Texas). Yesterday temps hit 87° outdoors, and house felt stuffy last nite so we set thermostat to "Cool/Auto". Honeywell thermostat started flashing words "Cool On" and compressor would not come on at all. My husband checked main breaker, all ok. As stated, we even tried replacing batteries in Honeywell thermostat. No luck there either. We gave up & slept without it. This morning the thermostat reads "Cool On" (display no longer flashing). However, room temp is 69°, thermostat set on Cool/Auto/67° and compressor has not/does not come on. Any other theories?
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Installed in in 2015 you should be good was thinking it was little older. There at one time was some kind of class action lawsuit because coils could develop a leak. But thats most likely not the problemThe flashing is a delay that is comes holds compressor out for a few minutes 5-10 before starting to help protect compressor.Regarding the unit what kind of unit do you have for furnace, electric heat ?
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Its gotta be a low voltage problem somewhere and they can be a hard thing to trace down.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We had HVAC installer who originally put in system (A/C & Gas heat) come out to house 30 minutes ago to fix issue. Turns out a float switch on water pan in attic had been tripped. Switch was pointing downwards & not in correct position so it tripped causing unit to not come on. We have not been in attic since unit was installed, so no earthly idea how switch got moved out of position & tripped? Very frustrating -- especially considering the whole HVAC system is only 6 mos. old & has only been used twice (since it's @ our vacation home). We are sort of regretting we bought the Lennox brand although that's what we have @ home and we've never had issues with it.😕 Thank you for your time...
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.

Thats what it was breaking low voltage. Makes complete sense. Did yhey charge you anything.

If you could rate our conversation so it can be closed and any time you need help ill be here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Installer did not charge us anything -- especially since unit is brand new & we had not even been in attic since HVAC system was installed! No idea what caused float to get out of position. No critters up there and attic is well-sealed & nicely insulated.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.

Good glad they didnt charge you.

It was probably installed wrong by mistake. Do you have any other questions for me before you rate the conversation and we close ticket

Rating the ticket is the only way I get paid for my time with just answers