BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My haywood pool heat pump will run 10 minutes then condenser

Customer Question

My haywood pool heat pump will run for about 10 minutes then condenser fan shuts off and compressor continues to run. suction line pressure drops from 75psi down to 30psi in a couple of minutes and then unit throws a LP error code. What could the problem be
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you either have a low freon issue or a heat exchanger issue. Both unfortunately require accessing the refrigerant system.

If the exchanger is plugged or calcified it will need an acid purge.

If low on freon it must be leak checked and repaired

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

I am a different tech and heavily experience in Hayward Pumps now before you plan on a low freon issue or plugged exchanger the first thing the LP code stated in the MANUAL if the other tech had chose to read it is the following:

1.If diagnostic code “LP” is illuminated, this indicates that the outside air temperature is too low. When this occurs the Heat Pump shuts itself off automatically. When the outside air temperature rises enough the heat pump will automatically turn on.

It may just be too cold outside and that will cause the fan to kick out since the pressure will drop too low. How warm is it where you are at? If it is still pretty cold you may have to wait for it to get a bit warmer. Secondly the system could be low on freon but first check the outside temps and then you may want to recover the gas that is in it and reweigh in a new charge as these two things would be the most common issue causing the LP code.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Unit would not run 10 min if low temp outside it just would not run period until temps rose.

That leaves "secondly" which is the refrigerant information I already supplied thus is redundant information.

I do not proclaim "self guru",,,I do not ask for tips, I do not beg for no negative rating. I simply answer questions without all the disclaimers.

I prefer a more professional way of doing business.