Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Flame on raypack residential heater will not stay lit. This

Customer Question

Flame on raypack residential heater will not stay lit. This problem started after an SCE "maintenance" power outage of 4 hours. When power went back on it sounded like someone was trapped in the unit with a sledge hammer! trying to get out. turned it off - Called repair company. They instructed us to turn on again and wait for it to "cycle". It was good for 3 days. It is presently turned off and we have cold water...on an "overtime" sunday. Need I add....I am a woman trying to fix this thing and get the best advice. Could this be an ignitor issue? that was replaced approx 5 years ago. & should I turn the unit back on- concerned about gas. The unit is in a utility room and I don't want the house to blow up.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it could very well be an igniter issue, precipitated by an electrical spike that occurred as a result of the SCE shut down. The banging would be caused by delayed or intermittent ignition.

Odds are in the 95% range that replacing the printed circuit card containing the ignition module will solve the problem... it is nothing that you fix by any sort of reset.

If you are exceedingly handy with appliance repair I can coach you on how to further test and replace the ignition module. if not, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will look for a well rated local repair outfit for you. I will also need the brand and model number of the heater or furnace and a physical description of it.

We can go from there.