airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have an American Standard Freedom 90 furnace and am

Customer Question

I have an American Standard Freedom 90 furnace and am getting the 4 flash code for Thermal Protection Device Open. I pushed the button on the Thermal Protection to reset it but it only works until it heats up again and then shuts down and I get the same code. Do I need to replace the Device?
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: Our top HVAC Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the HVAC Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the HVAC Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

Where is the limit device that you are resetting located? *Is it a flame rollout by burners or an aux limit on blower or vent?

These furnace shave a couple of different switches.If it is the one by burners and flame is not rolling out, replace switch.If it is on blower housing, check filter and blower wheel to make sure they are clean.If both are clean replace limit.