Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have old mercury thermostat that sparks and clicks and

Customer Question

I have old mercury thermostat that sparks and clicks and turns on AC unit. I can hear him but no fan. The unit is in the roof crawl space with no access for me. Need s tech thin as rail to get up there. Ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: System was working fine thru November.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 8 months ago.

Hello, You say you have no running fan indoors when you turn on AC??

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

I got notice that Gaztech1 opted out... so I will pick up where he left off for now, lets see how it goes.

About how hold is the AC unit? If it is over 10 years the fan motor is likely bad, if it is not quite that old, it may just be that its $5 run capacitor is bad.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city, I will look for a few well qualified and well rated HVAC outfits, then you can call them and describe the access and ask if they have tech good at getting into tight spaces.

Meantime poke your head and a camera up there as best you can and get me a few pictures, use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar to attach them.

We can go from there.