Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Furnace is making a humming noise,pvc square box with tubes

Customer Question

furnace is making a humming noise,pvc square box with tubes in it has 1/2 inch water in it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

Can you give me model on furnace? Does anything come on> Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
furance comes on workes fine blower motor and fan dry,gurgling and load humming noise that wasent their before,noise not coming from induction motor but smalltubes in gray pvc box with 1/2 inchwater in it.extra louad gurgiling and humming noise. should gray pvc box with drain tubeand small metal tubes be cleaned?induction motor not making noise
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
furnace is 90000btu 91efficency 5 yr old armstrong,no i dont have volt motor ,does not make noise untill warm
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do i take twisted wire out of small tubes in gray box by drain tube to clean,how the heack do you get them back in tubes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
furnace might be 8yr old
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
induction motor and attached fan housing dry no water ,i keep drain lines cleen.black rubber connector clean
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
black rubber bowl by drain line clean,bye going to sleep

Is this gray box inside the furnace or is it a condensate pump that sits beside furnace to pump condensate outside?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
inside furnace,i donthave phone

I am not familiar with this box that would be humming.If trap were clogged up furnace would not work.I am going to open to my colleagues to see if they have ideas.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
should i take gray box out of furnace andclean it, their is sediment init,furnace is humming buzzing dont knof where it is comming from
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Hello, before we start let me tell you that I do not have the faintest idea why you are hearing any buzzing from the gray plastic box.

However I have seen situations where noise can seem to be coming from one place but is actually coming from another.

If you like we can do some tests to help sort out what on earth might be going on.

First test is a push test..use a screw driver to press on various parts of the box and surroundings when you hear the buzzing.. tell me if you can get a change in the sound.. this will very often isolate a bad connection or vibrating piece of sheet metal.

If that fails, remove one of the wires that go into the box as a brief test, those would be for the liquid sensor, if the buzzing stops instantly we can figure that the sensor tip is arcing electric current to the condensate in the bottom of the box (that is an semi educated guess after 55 years in the business however.)

Let me know what you can find, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i dont have phone service here,can i cleen sediment from box,noise stops wheni push on box,take box off when i clean or leave on ,thanks craig
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Hello again, unplug the furnace, try cleaning sediment from the box again, and look for a pair of metal probes with two wires attached (water level sensor) and clean those with emery cloth, try it again, let me know how it goes.

We can go from there without a time limit. If that solves the problem please do not forget to rate my service, it is how I earn a living and will not increase your charges.