Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Water heater works, but after a short time water pressure

Customer Question

water heater works, but after a short time water pressure decreases and water runs cold. also sometimes heater fails to operate but tapping the pressure switch usually starts it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: when heater fails to start a 4 flash code appears. this is an older tkjr
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the HVAC Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

What si the make and model of the hot water heater?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
takagi tkjr

The unit is either plugged up or scaled up. Have you checked and cleaned the inlet filter? That is the most common cause of that issue.

Let me know

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have cleaned the inlet filter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also new use a whole house water filter

Then the unit is internally really scaled up how old is it and I imagine this issue has gotten worse and worse correct?