Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Billy, I have a carrier thermostat that is always a pain. It

Customer Question

Hi Billy,
I have a carrier thermostat that is always a pain. It sometimes is stuck in delay mode forever as it is now. The compressor works when R and Y are crossed, and the air handler fan works through the thermostat. Is there a way to jump out the S1 and S2 as I think the humidity sensor is the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Billy is not in right now, I am Phil.

I need the brand and model number of the thermostat to pull the wiring diagram for it, that is stamped on the back of it after you pry it from the wall mount plate. Try removing the wire connections from S1 then S2 first, that will simulate infinite resistance at the sensors.. tell me what happens.. next we can simulate no resistance by shorting each one separately, but NOT *between S1 and S2.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a carrier Thermidistat thermostat. There is no error so it may not be the sensor. What I really want to know is can I hook up a regular thermostat to this system?
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, yes you can hook up more than a few common thermostats to the system but not just any thermostat.

Tell me which color wires attach to which letter terminal on the existing thermostat and i can look up some options for you.

We can go from there.