Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a 15 year pld weill McClaine gas furnace. to one of

Customer Question

I have a 15 year pld weill McClaine gas furnace. to one of the zones i have nest thermostat that has never functioned properly it has been calling for resets and saying it can't find power source intermittently. yesterdday it died and stayed dead. My furnace works but once it dlicks o the then shuts down, Now the house is cold, the in line water heater is not producing either.
i took the nest of the wall and the connection to the fires is now broken
I need toget the system to respong.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the model number of your boiler? You can bypass the thermostat by connecting the 2 thermostat wires together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can't read it on the plate...but the thermostat is two wires white and red..i took the nest off and replaced it with a honeyewell two wire manual. I than switched the breaker from on to off and back on again. the furnace fired up but I don't know if it will stay on.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

When there is a call for heat the burner will run up to the limit set point then shut off but the pump(s) will continue to run until the thermostat is satisfied. If the call for heat is long enough the burner will come back on when it drops below the differential setting on the control. If your boiler operates this way then it functioning normally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my in line hot water is still cold...the furnace was off all night...how do I call up for hot water? and does one thermostat zone that is not working shut off the entire system?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you mean by an in line water heater. Do you mean you have a DHW coil in the boiler?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no my mistake it is separate tank.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it will take a while for the tank to heat up. 1 problem thermostat should not affect the other zones. So if you had no heat in all the zones you had/have a problem other than a thermostat problem. What is the brand an model number of the zone control with the lit LED's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zone control zvc 404 two out of 4 zones are lit...furnace shut off again...boiler model no is gv-5, water heater is gl 7natural gas system
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Just because the burner shut off doesn't mean the heat shut off (see my previous answer about system operation). If the boiler is near 180 degrees then shutting down is behaving normally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okshould i wait and see what happens?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need to check the temp gauge on the boiler. Is it near 180?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is below 70
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok what light is flashing on the boiler control (not the ZVC)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None that I see is it behind the panel?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have to remove the front panel to the burner compartment

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the top panel will give you a better look

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The circuit board that is to the left one flashing green labeled power and one flashing red labeled flare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one labeled pressure switch that is off entirely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red is flashing is marked flame
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you need to have a pro check this out. The control is indicating a flame failure problem. This probably isn't something you can handle yourself unless you're comfortable working on a gas appliance. Let me know if you want to pursue troubleshooting this yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I want to try it lets keep going
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, turn the power off wait a minute then turn it back on again. Tell me what happens. Does the draft fan run? does the igniter glow? does the burner fire up then go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is 101320 where are these components I just shut it down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It switched on then went off and back on I don't see an igniter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On and off and on again sounds like it's burning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now power and flame lights are flashing and shut down
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this model, particularly as it ages, has a known issue with the burner cone. I suspect that's the problem if it fires up then goes out. Dealing with a burner issue is not a DIY project

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'd suggest you call in a pro who is familiar with this model. He'll have to pull the burner assembly apart and check it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this a big job? expensive?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's a bit involved could easily run $4-500 hundred (maybe more) depending on what he finds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok rick thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome