Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We put in a York heat pump 5 years ago. The old heat pump

Customer Question

We put in a York heat pump 5 years ago. The old heat pump was a GE and at the register closest to the furnace the GE put out 95 degree air. The York heat pump runs constantly even when outside temp is 40 degrees and thermostat set to 70 degrees and register only shows 80 degree air unless aux. heat is on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

There are several possibilities here. The new heat pump could be undersized for the area it is serving. Or it could be low on charge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Our old heat pump had a 3 ton condensing unit and a 3 ton air handler. The new one has a 3.5 ton condensing unit and a 5 ton air handler (can be either 4 or 5, but is set up as a 4 ton). Air handler has varible speed fan.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Not sure why they put a 5 ton air handler with a 3.5 ton condenser. This is not normal practice. Are you sure your installing tech set the air speed on the air handler for 3.5 ton?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Condensing unit was checked and freon level was normal.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

I'd say your tech has missed something. There should be hotter air than that coming out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Air speed was set right for unit.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

If you are using the same company that installed this to service it, makes me wonder. I would never put a 5 ton air handler with a 3.5 ton condenser. Oversized and could run the air past the coil so quickly it won't pick up any heat.