HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a 11+ year old Kenmore gas water heater (exact date

Customer Question

I have a 11+ year old Kenmore gas water heater (exact date of installation unknown--could be older). The pilot has gone out and will not stay lit after repeated attempts to light using the igniter. We are seeking advice on whether it is worth trying to repair, or if we likely need to repair (that is, is the cost of repair likely the exceed the value of an old unit like this, or are there inexpensive repair options for this problem).
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Lastly the only way to credit me "APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU" is to STAR RATE my post......NOT another TECHS when we are finished otherwise I will receive no credit.....Thank you!

Yes it is worth trying a simple fix. That would be to install a new thermocouple in the unit, they often go bad and are about 10 dollars. Here is a video to help and you can pick on of those up at your local HOME DEPOT.

CLICK HERE

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU