Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a rheem rgr-j furnace. It isn't igniting when the

Customer Question

I have a rheem rgr-j furnace. It isn't igniting when the thermostat calls for heat. Draft Inducer turns on, has valve clicks, blower turns on but no flame. I put a lighter to the ignitor and lit it manually hoping to eliminate the safetys. My question is, does this mean I have to switch the ignitor out? Or could it be something else?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like a bad igniter. Remove it and check it for any defects no matter how small. Any flaw at all is reason to replace it. A little white powder is OK. Don't touch the surface of the igniter with your bare fingers. Hold it by the ceramic insulator

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forgot to add that it turned off before it reached the set temp. Would this still indicate a bad ignitor?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

If the burner doesn't fire up the unit will shutdown after several ignition attempts. Your last comment would seem to imply it did actually fire up at some point.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fired up manually. I used a long lighter and lit the burner myself. It stayed lit for 5 min but didn't reach the 69 degree set temp. Wasn't sure if a bad ignitor would cause that to happen.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You can't light the burner manually as a solution. You first need to address the ignition issue which is likely caused by a bad igniter based on what you describe. If the igniter has a flaw you need replace it. Only after if fires up as it should can you determine if there are any other issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand. I only ignited it manually to rule out other issues. I am going to get a new ignitor asap.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Ok,

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

How did this work out?