Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My furnace ignites of minutes and then shuts off, i just

Customer Question

my furnace ignites for couple of minutes and then shuts off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i just cleaned the flame sensor havent replaced it though and also when the furnace shuts off, i see 4 flashing lights and after 10 mins, the furnace switches on and then remain ignited for couple of minutes and then shuts off again and then I see 4 led blinking lights
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you there
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

What is the brand and model number of your furnace? A phone call is an additional charge

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe it is goodman manufacturing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I still need the model number.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let me go take a look
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
U-42
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the part number is *****
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

That's not a Goodman model number. But I have an idea what the problem probably is based on your description. A 4 flash error is an open limit circuit error which means the unit is shutting down because it's over heating. This can be due to a dirty filter or possibly a clogged AC coil if you have AC. Could also happen if the vents/registers in the house are blocked

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced a new filter last night and also none of the vents and registers are blocked.
Also, will the burners ignite due to open limit error ?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you said the burners go out then come back on after 10 minutes (after the unit has cooled down and the limit closes). A 4 flash error is an open limit error. Do you have AC?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have AC, we havent turned on the AC since 6 months and it is winter here.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

That doesn't matter. The air from your furnace flows through the AC coil even in heat mode. If you have a typical up flow furnace the AC coil is on top of the furnace.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also , the burners remain stay on only for couple of minutes only. Also I saw low battery indicator in the thermostat. I replaced the batteries too.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

I don't know how else to say it. A 4 flash error is an open limit error. The furnace will overheat if there isn't adequate airflow through the furnace. If the AC coil is clogged you won't have adequate air flow. The fact that it comes back on after it cools down confirms this as the problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what are the things that I could try now
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You need to check the AC coil to see if it's clogged

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is the draft induced motor and blower fan two different things. when I set the heat to off and fan to ON on my thermostat , I dont hear any sound near the furnace.not fan or blower runs. But, when I set the Heat to ON, i hear noise from the Draft induced motor.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

The draft inducer is the small fan on the front. It only creates the draft. If the main blower isn't running to circulate the heat through the house then that's the reason you're getting an open limit error. So you could have a bad blower motor or possibly a bad start capacitor for that motor

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

I'm logging off for the night. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning. I'll answer related follow ups after you rate me favorably