Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Rheem Criterion II 2003...Won't run, started out would start

Customer Question

Rheem Criterion II 2003...Won't run, started out would start if we reshut the front cover, progressed to keeping the cover duct taped shut, now won't start at all.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The "won't start if front cover is off" issue has been happening for about three years. It typically fell off while we were at work and we'd come home to a furnace that didn't respond to turning up the thermostat. We'd put the cover back on and it would promptly work. Then it wouldn't start if the front panel was loose, so we duct taped the panel on and had no issues, the furnace would start when the thermostat told it to. Came back from vacation to a 43 degree house. Messing with the front panel didn't start it. One fist whack to the center of the front panel did, but it quit again about three hours later. Now it's not responding at all. Any Ideas?
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. gas fire place and stove work, neighbors say there were no power outages or storms. Husband has gone through the the manual and tried everything suggested in there. Breakers are on. Furnace is in an enclosed, heated garage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

If you are having this much trouble with the blower door, you may have a bad blower door switch OR it is out of alignment.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not it, waiting for repairman
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

You replaced switch already or bypassed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bypassed
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

So you don't need our help here anymore at JA?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Repairman found a loose connection we were giggling back into contact when we messed with front panel.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll close question