HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

One of my" Original" hunter ceiling fans ( I have six in the

Customer Question

One of my " Original" hunter ceiling fans ( I have six in the house) all new in 2013 has started to have drips of oil coming out of it? I have taken the blades and the bottom plate off but cannot see anything in terms of where the oil is coming from . Any suggestions on what i should do to find the cause?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

it could be from the bearings in the motor..........has there been an overuse through the couple of years on this one fan? ...........either way it shouldn't be happening and might need to be replaced ...............I didn't ask to be rated right now ........I'm just trying to offer a suggestion

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Eddie fan has hardly been used as it is in the spare bedroom. Is it easy to take apart or a job for what type of trade?
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

if it is the bearings it means the motor got old and tired real quick and now is a throw away item...........it is odd that there was not an overuse problem so it could have been from a manufacturing defect and just surfaced now through some kind of thermal breakdown............I don't know if you have electric motor places by you but you could take away all the cumbersome parts and have it tested to verify if what I am saying might be true..............let me ask you ........does it have an odd or burnt smell to it too?

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No smell still as new probably only be used a couple of times say overnight for up to two weeks a year in last two years!
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

that is strange ...........I don't feel I've provided an answer that I am comfortable with so I don't expect a rating.........what I can do is opt out and turn it back over to one of my colleagues who maybe can offer a different perspective on it .........good luck John I hope it works out for you

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Eddie, appreciate your comments and leave it for now as I think it best if no easy solution i get someone in to look at it as it maybe a warranty position and best I dont do too much myself.
Ta
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 months ago.

OK if you need anything else let me know

I would like you to know that I am a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited to me, further the only way I actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks