airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Nordyne G6RK 096c 12 furnace. It is failing to

Customer Question

I have a Nordyne G6RK 096c 12 furnace. It is failing to ignite. I have tried to diagnose it the best I can. I believe I have it narrowed down to the board or the gas valve. I tested the power to the valve. The problem is that the wires had a 22 volts before it should have had any. Then the relay clicked on at it went to 24 volts. No gas comes out and the ignitor times out. If I have the wires disconnected from the gas valve there are multiple attempts to light. When i have the wires hooked up to the gas valve there is only one attempt then I get a fault code saying gas valve relay short. Just wondering if that would be a problem with the board or the valve. Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

If you get 24v to the valve but no gas comes out, issue is either gas pressure or gas valve.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Any idea why there would be a constant 22 volts to the valve before it needs to open? Is that normal?

Normally you really should not have anything to valve until igniter warms up.You may have an issue with board also, but definitely if valve gets 24v it should open.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

Since we know valve is getting 24v but no gas , if you have other gas appliances and they work I would start with valve.If need help locating or part number let me know.