Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Have a gmh95. Ignitor glows and lights but blue flame goes

Customer Question

Have a gmh95. Ignitor glows and lights but blue flame goes out after a few seconds. Used to happen every so often. Sometimes I would heat the house up and then turn it off so when I went back a few hours later it would light up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else I can say. Ran great for 3 years when we first moved in. Last month it started to not work. Checked the window where you see the flame and alls I see it do is glow, then it the blue flame ignites but then it goes out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Have you tried cleaning the flame sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just want my money back. I was under the impression I wouldn't be charged until I was satisfied and it immediately charged me
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Your money goes into an account and then when question is complete, you hit "accept" and technician gets paid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok well I don't believe that it should be as simple as you click a button and my PayPal is reimbursed. But since you already have my money I'll use ur service. As far as cleaning the flame sensor I don't even know how to get into this thing. There seems to be no access points
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Give me a minute to look up the GMH

Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

The upper panel must come off, with 2 thumbscrews. Then locate the burners

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thumb screws. Flathead
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you can either turn by hand or use a slotted screwdriver.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the panel u are referring to above the panel with the window
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see coils
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

Shouldn't see coils. The burner compartment is what you want. Right above the blower compartment which will be at bottom of furnace on an upflow furnace.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok well I asked if the panel was the one above the panel with the window and u said yes. I'll just call sumone
Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

There is a small window in blower compartment. Thought that's what you were referring to.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 9 months ago.

See here:

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know what a blower compartment is. If I did there's a good chance we wouldn't be having this conversation. I want to end this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Seriously I don't want your help give me my money back