Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rheem model RCBA manufactured in 2003. The fan

Customer Question

I have a Rheem model RCBA manufactured in 2003. The fan blows however the inducer fan does not kick on. when the furnace is resent the Modulating Control Board goes from 8 to 2 to blinking 4. Once on 4 it continuously blinks four two times.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Are you ready to speak with the HVAC Technician now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

good morning, I am Kevin, on one of the Tech's here on JA.

I understand you are having a problem with your Furnace?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you help me?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I am going to try my best. I am looking up your furnace right now, if you could though, grab the entire model number which you can locate on the nameplate label in the burner compartment.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3765gg17xiinducer blower part number: 70-24206-01-04
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

the furnace is a RCBA 3765gg17xi?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have volt meter. I am hoping you can tell me what the blinking 4 means.
I have been working online on this for nearly 3 hours this morning trying to find the answer.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

that is exactly what I was looking for, did you pull off the cover of the blower panel just below the burner panel?

Sometimes they include a "legend" to the failure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it only addresses number of blinks. It does not reference numerical readings.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I think you may be reading the cased coil number instead of the furnace number....... RCBA refers to a coil.......

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, I am not sure where to get the model number at.
However I just figured out how to read the 4 blink 4 it is 44 and 82
44 is "Contacts closed - inducer off"
82 is "Supply air sensor - out of range"
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I think we can ignore the 82, I'm assuming that is 8 meaning "lockout" for flame failure. To determine if you have a defective inducer, you will need a volt meter to test the voltage being supplied to the inducer during a call for heat. If you do not have power there, then most likely the board is defective and not sending the power to the inducer.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

you can purchase an inexpensive meter at a Home Depot or Lowes, some hardware stores even have them.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do I find my furnace model number.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am guessing based on my research I should see 24volts?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

to your inducer motor, you should have most likely 120V.... your HSI if like a glow coil should also be 120V, your other control circuit through limits and pressure switches most likely 24V.

That model number should be on a name plate sticker, it is usually located in the burner compartment, should list voltage, Input btu's, ect....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** Lowes now in the snow storm for voltage meter and a space heater.
Your assistance is much appreciated.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I will be here for a little while, if you can find that model number, I may be able to pull up a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I did find a schematic for two different type of controls, and also a trouble shooting guide. when you get that volt meter, you may need to check pressure switch for continuity as well.......

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 9 months ago.

I will be back in 30 min......

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am at a loss as how to use this meter.
I still can't find any plate with Model number.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I have to take wires apart to measure the volts?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I took the connection apart and stuck the prob ends into the connector (white black and red ready snap to the blower) I get .78 volts on the red and black leads.Also I should share that my zone controller is a Honeywell universal mini zone. The purge light has always flashed, I have no idea why?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Photos
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wire diagram, up flow model.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still able to help me?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kevin, are you there, I am without heat.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was able to figure it out, heat is running again.
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

Your expert had left.If you still need help let me know .Otherwise you should have a drop down menu on your page to request a refund of your deposit so you are not billed.