How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask airheatman Your Own Question
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 8052
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
airheatman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am switching out a stove to a pellet stove (free

Customer Question

I am switching out a wood stove to a pellet stove (free standing). The vent pipe that came off the back of the wood stove and into the chimney is all 6 inch, and the vent pipe coming off the pellet stove will be 3 inch. Will I have to replace the stove pipe that leads up into the chimney completely? What else do in need to consider? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What is the model on the pellet stove? Sometimes you can use an adapter and connect and sometimes it would be necessary to run all new.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know later today when I pick out a model I like.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. As mentioned, depending on the stove model if we can use that old vent and adapt to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the model I'm consider is a Pleasant Hearth, model PH35PS. I did a little research and found that there is an adapter that will allow the 3 inch pipe to exhaust into a 6 inch pipe. (Selkirk Pellet Stove Pipe Adapter, 3" x 6") My concern is that the six inch pipe coming out of the bottom of the chimney is flex pipe, and how I would attach the adaptor to that. Or, if the adaptor is a good idea?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The manufacturer on this one does not recommend using larger that 4" vent so with that and along with the old being flex,I would recommend running new 3 or 4" pipe