airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am switching out a stove to a pellet stove (free

Customer Question

I am switching out a wood stove to a pellet stove (free standing). The vent pipe that came off the back of the wood stove and into the chimney is all 6 inch, and the vent pipe coming off the pellet stove will be 3 inch. Will I have to replace the stove pipe that leads up into the chimney completely? What else do in need to consider? Thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

What is the model on the pellet stove? Sometimes you can use an adapter and connect and sometimes it would be necessary to run all new.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll let you know later today when I pick out a model I like.

Sounds good. As mentioned, depending on the stove model if we can use that old vent and adapt to it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, the model I'm consider is a Pleasant Hearth, model PH35PS. I did a little research and found that there is an adapter that will allow the 3 inch pipe to exhaust into a 6 inch pipe. (Selkirk Pellet Stove Pipe Adapter, 3" x 6") My concern is that the six inch pipe coming out of the bottom of the chimney is flex pipe, and how I would attach the adaptor to that. Or, if the adaptor is a good idea?

The manufacturer on this one does not recommend using larger that 4" vent so with that and along with the old being flex,I would recommend running new 3 or 4" pipe