airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am switching out a stove to a pellet stove (free

Customer Question

I am switching out a wood stove to a pellet stove (free standing). The vent pipe that came off the back of the wood stove and into the chimney is all 6 inch, and the vent pipe coming off the pellet stove will be 3 inch. Will I have to replace the stove pipe that leads up into the chimney completely? What else do in need to consider? Thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 12 months ago.

What is the model on the pellet stove? Sometimes you can use an adapter and connect and sometimes it would be necessary to run all new.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'll let you know later today when I pick out a model I like.

Sounds good. As mentioned, depending on the stove model if we can use that old vent and adapt to it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay, the model I'm consider is a Pleasant Hearth, model PH35PS. I did a little research and found that there is an adapter that will allow the 3 inch pipe to exhaust into a 6 inch pipe. (Selkirk Pellet Stove Pipe Adapter, 3" x 6") My concern is that the six inch pipe coming out of the bottom of the chimney is flex pipe, and how I would attach the adaptor to that. Or, if the adaptor is a good idea?

The manufacturer on this one does not recommend using larger that 4" vent so with that and along with the old being flex,I would recommend running new 3 or 4" pipe