Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I screwed up. Replacing my thermostat, I took the old off

Customer Question

I screwed up. Replacing my thermostat, I took the old off without labeling my wires - big mistake in retrospect! lol. Is there a place on the inside unit where I can tell what goes to what?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Well that is about it. I could use a recommendation for a themostat. As I understand it, my unit has heat pump and emergency heat connections.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: That's all I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trane model number TWEO48C14OCO
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

Pull blower panel off and you will see the wires from thermostat in front of you. Should be

Red to R

Yellow to Y

White to Aux/W2

Green to G

Orange to O

Blue to C on new thermostat.

If you had a Trane thermostat Blue would be connected to B on old thermostat but C on new one if it is not Trane.

Do you still have a problem. Russ