Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Dear Bill, The fire on the furnace is off. I tried both

Customer Question

Dear Bill, The fire on the furnace is off. I tried both on/off buttons. It didn't helpl The furnace model is 58sta070 Is there anything else I can try?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The fire is off. The air blows. The heater doesn't heat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Try turning the power off to the furnace wait 5 minutes then turn it back on. Tell me what happens. What on/off buttons are you referring to?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have tried that. There is still no fire. There are two on/off buttons. I switched both of them off and back on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Ok, but I need to know what the furnace does when you turn the power off then back on again. Dose the small fan on the front start up? does the main blower run?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The main blower switches on an off.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You can try resetting the rollout switches (see attached picture for a typical one). They are located just outside the burner chamber. First turn the power off then push the small button between the 2 wires. If it clicks you have reset it and the burner will fire up with any luck when you turn the power back on. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is this the on/off button in front of the burner chamber?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

It's just outside the chamber. I suppose in front of is one way to describe it. Look for a device similar to what's in the picture with 2 wires and a small button between the wires

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found the device but the button doesn't move or click.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Then it wasn't tripped. Follow the wires connected to it to be sure there are no other similar device(s) in that circuit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Two similar devices. Tried both. Still no fire.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Then that's about all you can do. The next step is to call in a pro

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome