Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Lennox GFP 3/4-5P fireplace insert gas log set up

Customer Question

I have a Lennox GFP 3/4-5P fireplace insert gas log set up with 2 switches on the side of the glass screen. The second from the top witch turns the blower system on and off and the rheostat below controls fan speed. What does the top switch do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: There is a remote control that is supposed to turn the burner on and off, that seems to have no effect on the operation of the unit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 9 months ago.

Are there any other numbers on unit? Usually one switch allows use of a remote control.

And does this switch have 3 positions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there are only 2 positions, apparently on and off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the reemote doesn't appear to work in either position.

Still looking for a manual.Not finding the GFP series in my Lennox fireplace models

Do you have a wall thermostat that controls the fireplace?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, there is no wall termostat for the unit. I have the original install manual, but it makes NO mention of the remote. It was printed in 1998.

That may be why I am not seeing it listed (age)

Is there a publication number on manual?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
503,429M
8/98
Superseeds 11/97
is printed below the description

Not finding anything by that either.The only two switches I am showing on any of the Lennox fireplaces is the blower switch and then an on off switch.Have you tried putting this switch in both positions to see if fireplace works in both positions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had the fireplace running and turning that switch seemed to have no effect. I need to try starting it with the remote to see if that works. I found the remote reciever on the bottomleft behind the grill that covers the units internal parts, and I need to try some more positions with the remote. The previous owner said it used to work, but I haven't fouind the key yet.

Let me know what you find, I believe this switch has to do with that.