HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Lennox m/n gcs20rv-511-75-1p that the heat was

Customer Question

I have a Lennox m/n gcs20rv-511-75-1p that the heat was failing to kick on at random times over the past couple weeks so I had my propane company come change out the regulator at the tank and it seemed to work fine for about 4 days and now it won't fire,
the a/c comes on and works fine and I have tried resetting it (taking the temp down and turning the system off) but still can't get it to kick on.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jon
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

So the inducer fan or nothing tries to start correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the inducer fan does start
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok does the ignitor glow or what error flashes on the board when it does not light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen an error flashing and not sure about the ignitor
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The ignitor may be broken on the unit I would check that visually or oh it out with a ohm meter. That could be the whole issue here Very common issue as well.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the ingnitor have 2 wires going into it and the 3 rods on the backside when you pull it out?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should you may have a spark ignitor system, see if there is any black porcelain on the ignitor or if it is just metal rods.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the front is white but a lot of black caked on soot on the backside by the rods
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a pic of it and upload it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the pic
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yeah that has a lot of soot, something may not be lighting or burning right. That is a spark ignition system, clean off the rods really good with sandpaper and retry it. You may want the unit serviced by an HVAC company to inspect the manifold for any cracks.