Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an Amana Air Command 80 and I am trying to install a

Customer Question

I have an Amana Air Command 80 and I am trying to install a new thermostat, but the way it's wired is a bit confusing. As you would expect, the white wire goes to the W terminal, a skinny red wire goes to the R terminal, and the green wire goes to the G terminal. What is confusing is that nothing is connected to the Y terminal and the yellow and blue wires are connected together. Also a larger red wire is connected to the C terminal. I always thought a black or blue common wire was connected to the C terminal. Can you explain this wiring configuration to me? Also the old thermostat did not use the blue wire at all. Should I ignore the blue and just connect the yellow wire to the Y terminal on the thermostat?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 9 months ago.

hello,

does this unit have central ac also?